Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

If this site has helped you with your knowledge of Upholstery, consider making a donation. Make a Donation

If you have found this site helpful, please consider making even a small donation. All donations go towards keeping this site available to Professionals and consumers alike. Thank You.

Author Topic: Site is closing down soon  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Jack

• Board Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Jack of all Trades and the Master of None!
    • Carr's Corner Professional Upholstery & Soft Furnishing Group
Site is closing down soon
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »
Hello to all members of the Upholstery and Soft Furnishings Professional Group. Some of you came here from Yahoo group originally and are/were founding members of this site for the past 15 years.  Since the creation of the creation of the Facebook group, the use of website and forum the here has been pretty much non-existent.  Because of this, it has come time for me to start closing down this site as an Upholstery site and find another use for the domain.  The expense and maintenance of the site has become costly to me, especially since it is not being used anymore.
There are many articles and information that you might be interested in, you might want to go and print that off soon.  I'll probably hold off for a week or so on removing things, but will be doing it soon.  I want to thank all the Founding members and all other members that helped with costs, writing articles, helping new and old members here.  It will be sad to see it go after 15 years, but I'll keep up with all my friends on Facebook

Jack

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jack Carr
Site Administrator/Webmaster

Offline Bob

• ProUphMember
  • GO RED SOX !!!!!!
Re: Site is closing down soon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:51:15 PM »
Jack,

I'm real sorry to hear this. I'm afraid I'm guilty as hell for not coming here at all in the last some-odd years. FB has definitely changed things in the world, not always for the better.

I remember when the forum first started, I believe I was one of the early members, along with Kim, Kim, Stacey and Buck. I'm sure there are others, but names aren't popping up.

I learned an awful lot from you and others on this forum, it was a blast. I spent hours and hours (when I probably should have been working) reading post after post. I don't think I'd have been able to progress as well as we have if it were not for all the information that was found here.

Jack, I can't thank you and Stacey enough for all the hard work, endless hours, and not a little $$$ that you put into this site. I'm sad to see it fade away, but it's understandable.....

Thank you again, my friend. I'll see you around campus, on FB...Oh wait, I can't see you there! ;) ;) ;)
On Beautiful Cape Cod

Offline Dede

• ProUphMember
  • Slipcover Goddess-In-Training
    • www.WorkroomButtons.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Bob said everything in my heart better than I could have.  I'm crying as I type this.  I'm also guilty of not participating recently... partly because I got busy with the button business, but also because I didn't want people to think I was trolling for new customers since I no longer sew professionally.  I read posts occasionally but didn't add anything.

This is so hard, and I can't even imagine how hard it is for members who have been active all this time.  How can I ever thank all of you? —this site, and these wonderful, amazing people got me started and kept me going.  Now I can't see what I'm typing.  Damn.  I'll try again later...

Offline Dede

• ProUphMember
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
Jack, I can't thank you and Stacey enough for all the hard work, endless hours, and not a little $$$ that you put into this site. I'm sad to see it fade away, but it's understandable.....

Again, Bob said this with far more eloquence than I ever could.  Please know how incredibly grateful I am for everything you have done, including more behind the scenes than I will ever know.  And now I'm crying again and the monitor is blurry.

Offline Cheryl

• ProUphMember
  • Ahhh... there you are!
    • Cheryl's Custom Upholstery
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
I feel the same... It's like losing a dear friend... I'm not good with words, but know that this is a special place. I made many good friends and learned a ton about upholstery and business. 

Thank you Jack for all your hard work.  Too bad this can't be archived and saved somehow.  I'd buy a copy.

Dede.. You're not the only one in tears.

Cheryl

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.

Offline Jan

• ProUphMember
  • I'm a Discussion Board addict!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
Much gratitude to Jack and Stacey for keeping the site running.  Over the years, I have learned a great deal and met some wonderful people.  When I joined, I was afraid I wasn't "good enough" to even ask a question - but everyone has been so generous with their time and expertise. (Even with non-upholstery related questions - I think I am the techno-illiterate of the group!!) We have become an upholstery family!

Offline gotya

• NonProMember
  • You got it i cover it!
    • gotyacovered2000
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
Thanks Jack,
with out this site when i first started my business i would come on here and ask a question and bingo you all have been great. Even thou my business short lived because of my hand accident and wrist. You all help me in everyway. Now we all our on fb. thanks again  ;D when i joined there was just a few of us and was greatest time ever. we now have fb so see you there. Thanks Jack for all hard work.
ruth

Offline Jack

• Board Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:41:01 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words.  It will be a very hard day when I finally do take the site down. 

I've tried everything to try and figure out a way to organize and attempt to archive the grand amount of information in the forum, but it is just not possible.  There are more than 45,000 post in about 4,600 topics and I'll be backing it up here at home and still work on finding anyway to convert it.

Thanks for all the support and friendship from everyone over the years.

Jack
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jack Carr

Offline Jack

• Board Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
It looks like due to recent advertising purchases and book sales, I'll be keeping the site running and available for at least another year.  I'd like to thank those that have made this possible, as I really didn't want to take down all this valuable information that has been built on for over 15 years and by so many talented upholsterer world wide.

Jack
Jack Carr

Offline Dede

• ProUphMember
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
I plan to visit a lot more often.