Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

If this site has helped you with your knowledge of Upholstery, consider making a donation. Make a Donation

If you have found this site helpful, please consider making even a small donation. All donations go towards keeping this site available to Professionals and consumers alike. Thank You.

Author Topic: Pontoon Boat Cushion Foam  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Olmstead

• ProUphMember
  • NonProMember
Pontoon Boat Cushion Foam
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »
This is my first time posting a question.  I need your help and experience.

A customer would like me to make new cushions for his pontoon boat and I need advice on the replacement foam.  The old cushions have the bullnose edge on front edge plus a raised moonlike shape along the front portion of both the bottom seat and back cushion. 

Do you know of a supplier of this type of cushion?  I really don't want to try shaping these cushions myself with a saw and grinder.  Should I purchase some bolsters to cut and glue the rounded shapes to a foam slab or suggest the customer would be much happier without the rounded edges?

Since I sure my description is clear as fog, please ask any questions.  I hope the attached picture works.  Thanks.

Offline papasage

• NonProMember
  • I'm a llama!
    • stricklandupholstery
Re: Pontoon Boat Cushion Foam
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
this Is a old post i ran across , will try to answer .you don1t buy it  from a supplier . the mfg of  boat seats  shape it . you can  do the shape yourself by using a  flea knife  and a grinding disk on a angle grinder . i purchased a woven  type  from  auto parts store  . they are made to clean  rust and such  but are good to clean  headliner boards  . u cut the edges  with a  electric knife and  smooth and shape the rest . another way is to use a 1 inc thinner foam than needed and  cut the edges and the wrap  with the 1 in .

Offline Stacey

• Administrator
  • Pro Upholsterer 42 years
    • Barnard's Upholstery
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Most of the Pontoon Boat seats I work on that have bull nose front sections are made up of square stock foam. The rounded edges are made by just the compression of the foam edge while pulling down the vinyl when stapled. The front section is made up with a pulled down and stapled extra piece of fabric that is sewn to the seam that joins the bull nose front and the next panel behind that. The bull nose section just has a thicker foam then the next panel behind it. No real amount of shaping the foam is needed. Most Boats seats are this way also.. Now auto seats are a different story, those can run into shaping the foam.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:41:52 PM by Stacey »
Stacey Barnard
Barnard's Upholstery & Auto Trim
Time proved and valuable information to share.
http://www.barnardsupholsteryshop.com

Offline MikeM8560

• NonProMember
  • Marine canvas & upholstery
    • Bayview Canvas
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
I agree with stacy. Thats how i do it. 
Bayview Canvas
Port Charlotte Fl