Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

If this site has helped you with your knowledge of Upholstery, consider making a donation. Make a Donation

If you have found this site helpful, please consider making even a small donation. All donations go towards keeping this site available to Professionals and consumers alike. Thank You.

Author Topic: 4th Annual Calendar Contest is now Open  (Read 36871 times)

Offline papasage

• NonProMember
  • I'm a llama!
    • stricklandupholstery
Re: 4th Annual Calendar Contest is now Open
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »
no calanders this year ???

Offline Jack

• Board Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Jack of all Trades and the Master of None!
    • Carr's Corner Professional Upholstery & Soft Furnishing Group
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2008, 09:26:39 PM »
Though everyone that entered really enjoyed the Calendar Contest, we never got enough entries to pay for the calendars that were given to each winner.  This didn't count the  other prizes that were donated either.  The contest cost me money all 4 years.  We also only one year had more than 12 different individuals that entered something, so at least 1 person ended up winning in two catagories.
I know that Stacey, Agnes and I really enjoyed being judges and everyone liked seeing some of the beautiful work done by our Pro here.
I was hoping that someone might come up with another idea for something that might at least cover expenses and have interest by more Pros.

Jack
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jack Carr
Site Administrator/Webmaster

Offline Cheryl

• ProUphMember
  • Ahhh... there you are!
    • Cheryl's Custom Upholstery
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:39 AM »
Its getting rather late to do this but... you could do the contest - and instead of HANDING out calendars...  Why couldn't you superimpose a monthly calendar in the bottom corner,  post them here for posterity sake and  anyone who wanted to - could download it and print it out OR use it as "wallpaper" ? ? ?

(pc users...  hmph... leave it to  Bill Gates to put WALLPAPER on a DESKTOP! And we wonder at engineers....)

We could tout it over at the mag and no doubt get more entries for the auto and  marine catagories...  and even a specialty or two...

Of course... the calendar part and the shop name would have to be balanced and look FABULOUS over the pic...  but...  if you go to blue mountain.com  and look at the  desktop calendars...  that is what I am speaking of.
Cheryl

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.

Offline Jack

• Board Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Jack of all Trades and the Master of None!
    • Carr's Corner Professional Upholstery & Soft Furnishing Group
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »
I'm bumping this back to the top so I don't lose it while thinking about ideas.   Possibly some other input from others as to some ideas as well.

Jack
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jack Carr
Site Administrator/Webmaster

Offline kimel

• ProUphMember
  • Thank God for second chances!
    • Kim's Upholstery Shop
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
Cheryl is on to something!
I've said it before that I'm interested in a calendar that represents all my friends here - including the webmasters. A downloadable calendar is genius!! I'm putting on my thinking cap - seems there should be a way that the entry fee would guarantee representation on the calendar. Could each one have an individualized cover?
Check out my blog!
kimsupholsteryshop.blogspot.com

Offline Stephen

• NonProMember
  • An upholsterer since 1966
    • Winters Sewing
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »
Cheryl is on to something!
I've said it before that I'm interested in a calendar that represents all my friends here - including the webmasters. A downloadable calendar is genius!! I'm putting on my thinking cap - seems there should be a way that the entry fee would guarantee representation on the calendar. Could each one have an individualized cover?

I had another thought. Perhaps we could think outside-the-box of a traditional calendar. Perhaps it could be some other type of publication that gives more room for personal and business information. Just to get your idea caps humming, here is something that I helped put together for our church. We worked as a team. You can read about how it came about here: creating a church directory.

I only bring this up to say that perhaps a different type of publication could be put together that could feature all the people and their work. This publication could be a pdf booklet, like the church directory, which could be printed.

Another possibility is this could be in the form of a website that has a section devoted to each person/business/information. If it was a website the information could be continually updated much easier than a printed publication. Oh Well, just rambling.

As per Kim's lead, I was just throwing out ideas. Maybe someone else can build on these, or have their own ideas, that will come to something.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:34:16 AM by Stephen »

Agnes

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2008, 06:45:35 PM »
Wouldn't this the same as the Shop Locator that we've had for years?

Offline kimel

• ProUphMember
  • Thank God for second chances!
    • Kim's Upholstery Shop
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »

Hi Agnes!!
Check out my blog!
kimsupholsteryshop.blogspot.com

Offline Cheryl

• ProUphMember
  • Ahhh... there you are!
    • Cheryl's Custom Upholstery
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
Ditto!!!   ;D   Long time no see!!
Cheryl

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.

Offline Joys Shop

• ProUphMember
  • I'm an Upholsterer!
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »
I've been wondering where you were Agnes

Good to see you back

Offline Dede

• ProUphMember
  • Slipcover Goddess-In-Training
    • www.WorkroomButtons.com